Monday, October 11, 2010

Why I Started a Blog About Literary Agents Who Represent the Fantasy Genre

If you read my profile, you know that I write fantasy novels. If you found your way to this blog, you probably do too!

When I was starting out a couple of years ago, I learned enough about publishing to know I needed a literary agent. But how do you find one? Sure, there are books that list literary agents, and the Preditors & Editors site, which is a great resource for checking out a potential agent. But not all literary agents like to read or represent novels in the fantasy genre, and even the ones who do have certain preferences (no high fantasy, or no vampires, or only magical realism are some examples I've seen).

It's tough to snag an agent. It's even tougher when you're targeting the wrong agents for your novel. It took me a lot of time and research to compile a list of agents who were legitimate, made sales AND represented fantasy and/or science fiction. After I found my agent, I still had all this compiled research on agents who liked fantasy, and I decided to pass it on. You're welcome!

In the next few weeks I'll be posting the master list, plus showcasing individual agents or agencies, so if you're searching for a literary agent to represent and sell your fantasy (or science fiction) novel, check back soon!

4 comments:

  1. Well I say you rock. Thanks from all us aspiring authors. -Steeven A. Smith

    ReplyDelete
  2. I ditto what Steeven just said. Thank you so much for this. I'll be submitting over the next few weeks, and this really, really helps. Cheers! ~James Thelman

    https://www.facebook.com/james.thelman?ref=tn_tnmn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you much, this has been a great help. I've been searching and sending query letters to agents for fiction/fantasy. May the best and greatest be with you.

    It would be awesome to have you or anyone with us on my facebook blog, please you are welcome to join us, just search vonazua blog on facebook.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for the info! You are AWESOME :D

    ReplyDelete